Compact virtual hard disk - Parallels Support Forum
Unable to Compress / Compact virtual hard disk - Parallels Support ForumCelticTech Parallels Team
Join: Mar 2007
OK after testing this and much research I finally have a suolution that I know works so here it is.
First everyone upgrade to build 5160 you will need the image tool that comes with that build. next
To fix this Follow these steps
1. Open Parallels and start windows
2. go to the Actions menu and click on Create Snapshot
3. In the snapshot window just click the OK Button
4. Shut down windows using the shutdown feature in windows
5. Turn off Parallels
6. Go to Applications/Parallels and open Parallels Image Tool
7. Click Continue on the Introduction Page
8. Click Choose on the source image page.
9. Select your HDD
10. Click Continue
11. Select Manage disk Properties in the action screen, Click continue
12. In the Operations screen put a checkmark in the Merge snapshots item only. And click the Start button.
13. A warning Message will drop down, Click Yes
14. The Image tool will start to process your HDD this can take a long time be patient
15. When The process completes click finish
Next boot the VM:
It is normal for this to take a little longer than usual.
Finally Run Disc Compressor:
18. Go to Actions on the toolbar and select Run Parallels Copressor......
19. A dropdown menu will appear with a message on it click ok
20. A countdown will begin, allow it to start automatically
21. The Compressor will start the first set of operations this can take some time.
22. After the first operations have completed Click on the restart button
23. After the restart the next set of operations will start again this will take some time to complete. When the compression is completed the compacting of the disk will begin automatically. This can take hours to complete. Do not interrupt it, suspend your Mac or put it into sleep mode during this process.
24. When Compacting is completed click on the OK button.
25. Click Finish on the Compressor Window.
26. Go to the Macintosh HD/Users/”your user name”/documents/parallels/”your virtual machine”/ and delete the Snapshots folder and the Snapshots.xml
: "Every Mac needs an Office. Buy Office 2004 for Mac today, and we’ll upgrade you to Office 2008 for Mac.* Guaranteed!"
: "WhatIsMyIP.com The fastest and easiest way to determine your IP address."
For months, the industry has been calling on Microsoft to ease restrictions forcing customers to use only the priciest versions of Windows Vista for desktop virtualization.Mystery surrounds Microsoft's virtualization flip-flop | CNET News.com
: "Indeed, virtualization poses an interesting set of business issues for Microsoft, particularly in that it involves Microsoft's crown jewel--its Windows desktop franchise."
Gregg Keizer over on Computerworld posted a warning for Boot Camp users:
The news was no secret: Apple had spelled it out on the Boot Camp download page and in the EULA (end user license agreement) included with the beta and posted on the Apple site. “The term of this License…will terminate automatically without notice from Apple upon the next commercial release of the Apple Software, or December 31, 2007, whichever occurs first,” the EULA states.
According to Apple, Windows partitions already installed on Macs using Boot Camp will continue to work, but the Assistant software, which sets up and manages those partitions, will not once the license expires. “And Apple will not offer driver updates to beta users,” said company spokesman Anuj Nayar in an e-mail today.
Boot Camp has been one of Apple’s killer apps and has received a lot of publicity, and it seems that Apple predicted this and added a time-bomb to the software in order to make sure that users who were hooked on it upgraded to Leopard.NOBootcamp is not virtualisation because you can not run multiple OS (or multiple copies of the same OS) on the same machine simultaneosulySensible bootcamp users will migrate to Parallels or to a PC - especially if gamers or to Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2
thank you guys
"Welcome Got a question?
Need advice? Here at the Apple Store we're experts in everything Apple and can answer your questions, offer solutions, handle repairs, and provide technical and creative support. You can make a reservation for these services here."Apple Store (United Kingdom) - Bullring
Level 3, Upper Mall West
Bullring Shopping Centre
Birmingham, B5 4BU
0121 260 1900 Genius Bar
Store Hours Mon -
Fri: 9:30 am to 8:00 pm
Sat: 9:00 am to 8:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am to 5:00 pm" booking in my dead MacBook Probus 97 to the market, Apple Store, Bullring in Birmingham and back home to fish and chips - a photoset on Flickr